Monday, April 5, 2010

Puke etiquette?

My eldest, the Big Sister, threw up in karate class tonight.

She had been feeling a bit "off" all day. Her head hurt; she wasn't hungry. I took her temperature in the early afternoon and she was fine. We went to karate.

A little more than halfway through class she said her stomach hurt. She was excused to go to the restroom. She came back and asked if she could sit out for the last 10 minutes, because her stomach hurt. This is not typical for the Big Sister. She sat down, called to me, and I saw her face go white.

I got permission to leave the mat (always the rule follower), asked her if she was going to throw up. She nodded, I grabbed her hand and we headed to the bathroom. Two steps later, she lost it.

I had two thoughts flash through my mind at this point: One, we would never make it to the bathroom in time, and two, if we tried to go to the bathroom, we would just leave a nasty trail behind us. I opted to stay where we were and try and keep the mess contained to one spot.

I held my hands out to catch it, VERY aware that we were in the parent viewing area, and on the carpet. She vomited until I had no more room for her to vomit into, and onto the floor it went. (I know this is gross, but bear with me. There's a point.)

Finally, one of the other dads hopped up and ran out. He came back in with a trashcan, but she was done by then. Everyone else just sat there and watched.

One mom did get up and hand us some kleenex when we were done. It was a helpful gesture, as Big Sister had stuff all down the front of her shirt and pants, and her belt. And her feet. (Before you start feeling too sorry for her, let's all remember that I had the stuff in my hands. IN MY HANDS. And on my pants and my feet--cuz, really, it's all about me, right?!)

Is there some sort of etiquette when a child vomits? I felt terrible that we had made such a mess. In the main walkway. In the parent viewing area. On the carpet. Not on the slick, easy to clean mats. Not outside. Not in the bathroom. I apologized profusely as the owner cleaned up. I so wanted to help her. After all, it's my kid's puke. I should be the one to clean it up, right? But Big Sister was embarrassed and feeling poorly. She wanted to get home.

So we went home.

Found out later the instructor had to finish cleaning it up. Ugh. Poor guy.

Big Sister took a shower at home, put her pjs on and crawled into bed. She immediately fell asleep. And three hours later she is still asleep. Poor kid.

1 comment:

  1. I have no advice. I have no idea what you do in that situation! I do feel really bad for you, though.

    ReplyDelete