Friday, January 8, 2010

Karate is therapeutic

I had a bad day Wednesday, so I wanted to skip karate. After arguing with myself all afternoon, I decided I would take one for the team and go. I didn't want Reagan to do assessments by herself.

Assessment means we were being tested over a particular skill in karate. This time it was Stances and Blocks. If we passed, we earned a stripe on our belts. Reagan and I have only been in the white belt class for a short time, and while she learned the basics of Stances and Blocks in her Beginner Karate class, I did not (as I happily sat in the parent area and read my book for an hour, twice a week. Bliss!).

So, we've had one day of instruction in Stances and Blocks, plus the knowledge of Stances and Blocks that are in Form 1. We've been tested over Form 1, and we both know that.

This time we get to test as a group, which takes a great deal of pressure off of me. And we could take our time--if I was one or two steps behind, that was ok. Which is good, because when I have to do my Stances walking backwards, I really have to concentrate. There's so much to remember! Feet have to face a certain way, stomach has to face a certain way, hands fold across your body in a certain way, then unfold in a block or punch. It's kind of like line dancing, but without the music or the cute guys in cowboy hats. But I digress....

Reagan and I both passed our assessment, and we both earned our yellow stripe! We are now third degree white belts!

I'm so thankful for my kids. Without them, I wouldn't be participating in karate. As adults, we think we have so much to offer, and to teach, our kids. Really, they are the ones who introduce us to so many new things. They expand our world, and we are so much the better for it.

I left class Wednesday night, much happier (we both earned our stripe!) and much healed from my mess earlier in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment